Neck Lift | Cleveland, OH
Neck lift is a procedure that lifts, tightens and repositions the skin, muscle and deep soft tissues of the neck to improve neck contour and jawline definition. This procedure is commonly performed at the same time as other facial rejuvenation, such as facelift and eyelid surgery.
A neck lift improves the overall look of the neck, especially in cases where the skin is sagging or there is drooping of the lower face and cheeks. It will also improve the skin along the jawline, resulting in a reduction in sagging skin in the jowls as well as an overall tighter skin appearance on the jawline.
Types of neck lift
Traditional neck lift
- Incisions under the chin and around the ears or hairline
- Often relies heavily on skin removal to achieve adequate results
- Often involves liposuction to treat subcutaneous fat
- May not involve tightening of the platysma muscle in the midline
- Usually does not involve removal or reduction of the soft tissue of the deep neck such as deep neck fat pads, deep muscles of the neck, and salivary gland tissue
Deep neck lift
- Also known as deep plane neck lift or deep neck surgery
- May also involve incisions under the chin and around the ears or hairline
- Less reliant on skin removal to achieve satisfactory results. In fact, incisions are often shorter.
- The platysma muscle is usually pulled together in the midline and, sometimes, tightened and secure to the deep neck tissues for additional improvement in neck contour
- Usually does not require liposuction of the subcutaneous fat because fat is removed or reduced from the deeper fat pads
- Almost always involves removal or reduction of the deep soft tissues of the neck, such as muscle (digastric muscle), deep fat pads (sub-platysmal), and salivary gland tissue (submandibular glands)
Direct neck lift
- Skin removed directly from the neck in the midline
- Usually involves liposuction and platysma muscle tightening
- Incisions are much longer and less hidden
Neck lift expert Dr. Harmych
Dr. Harmych is a double board-certified and fellowship-trained facial plastic surgeon, specializing in neck lift and facelift surgery.
Dr. Harmych is double board-certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) and the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. As a facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Harmych specializes in neck lift and facelift procedures.
Neck Lift Before and After Photos | Cleveland, Ohio
Contact Dr. Brian Harmych
*Filling out this form will not place you on our email list.
Neck lift indications
Sagging skin, muscle laxity and excess soft tissue in the neck is often the result of aging or inherited traits and disrupts the healthy, youthful neck and jawline contour associated with youth. Neck lift surgery rejuvenates the neck and jawline by repositioning or tightening the sagging neck muscles and removing excess soft tissue and skin restoring neckline and jawline contour.
Who is a Candidate for Neck Lift?
Facial rejuvenation surgery, including facelift and neck lift, is not intended to make patients younger but to turn their inner youthful selves outward. The most appropriate candidates are seeking subtle to moderate improvement that will prompt comments such as, “Have you been getting more sleep?” or “Did you take a vacation?,” indicating a natural, healthy, and rejuvenated look, as opposed to an unnatural, operated-upon appearance. The best candidates for neck lift surgery are those who are healthy, who do not smoke, and have realistic expectations. Neck lift surgery does not stop the aging process; it simply turns back the clock a few years. While the aging process naturally continues the neck will always appear younger and more youthful.
Neck lift procedure
- Neck lift is often done with general anesthesia.
- A small incision is hidden in a natural skin crease beneath the chin. In most neck lift procedures a small amount of neck liposuction is performed. The “lifting” or “tightening” is achieved by repositioning the muscles of the neck.
- In patients with more advanced aging who have a large amount of redundant skin and sagging neck muscles, additional incisions are hidden behind the ear and within the hairline. The incisions are closed with small sutures and a soft head wrap dressing is placed.
- To achieve the best results, neck lift may be performed in conjunction with other neck and jawline rejuvenation procedures such as chin implant and jaw augmentation, neck liposuction and facelift.
- Dr. Harmych does not use drains during neck lift or deep neck lift surgery.
Recovery from neck lift
- Neck lift is performed on an outpatient basis.
- The dressing is removed by Dr. Harmych on the day after the neck lift procedure.
- Neck lift is not very painful. Prescription pain medication may be required for 1-3 days. Mild discomfort, numbness, tightness and bruising may last several weeks.
- After 10-14 days almost all patients feel confident returning to work and social activity.
- Most patients may resume full activity in about 3-4 weeks.
Important factors to consider regarding neck lift surgeons
- Those considering neck lift should carefully evaluate their surgeon’s training and credentials.
- Patients should have the opportunity to review neck lift before and after photos of real neck lift patients.
- Dr. Brian Harmych is double board-certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery and is one of the only fellowship-trained Facial Plastic & Reconstructive facelift and neck lift surgeons in the Cleveland area.
Services provided from the Cleveland office
Harmych Facial Plastic Surgery performs procedures and treatments on all areas of the face and neck including:
Where should I go for Neck Lift and Facelift Surgery in northeast Ohio?
Harmych Facial Plastic Surgery is located in the Cleveland, Ohio suburb of Pepper Pike near Beachwood, Ohio. Schedule a consultation at our Beachwood location and see if Neck Lift and Facelift Surgery is a good option for you.
29225 Chagrin Blvd. #285
Beachwood, Ohio 44122